Restoring Windows PC to its factory settings after virus infection
- Solution ID:1105002
- Last Updated:Sep. 27, 2019 1:29 AM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2018, Antivirus+ Security - 2019;Antivirus+ Security - 2020;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2019;Internet Security - 2020;Maximum Security - 2018;2019;2020;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2019;Premium Security - 2020;
- How to Restore your Computer into its Factory Settings
This article shows you you how to reset your Windows computer after being infected with a virus.
BEFORE YOU PROCEED:
We recommend that you print out this document or bookmark this page before proceeding because you will be asked to restart your computer during the procedure.
- Open windows reset settings. Do the following:
Click this button below to download RestoreWin10.zip:
- Open RestoreWin10.zip, and then click RestoreWin10.bat.Then proceed to step 2.
Factory resetting Windows 10 will reinstall Windows 10, change the PC settings to their defaults, and remove all your files.
- If you want to reset Windows 10 quickly, you can choose Just remove my files. Your files and data will be removed quickly and some data might remain recoverable using special softwares even after Windows 10 has been restored to factory settings.
Before clicking the Reset button on the next step, you might not be able to cancel the factory reset process. Make sure your Windows 10 laptop or desktop PC is plugged in and is not running on battery.
- Click the Reset button to start restoring Windows 10 to factory settings and follow the instructions.
In the resetting process, you might be asked to accept the Windows license and enter details such as PC name.
After Windows 10 factory reset process has been completed, you can now use it as a new computer.
To restore your computer to factory settings, do the following:
- Open the Charms Bar. Do any of the following:
- On your keyboard, press the WINDOWS + C keys.
- Move the mouse cursor to the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click the Settings icon.
- Click Change PC Settings.
- Click General.
- Browse the list on the right pane, then click the Get Started button under Remove everything and reinstall Windows.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
For older Operating Systems, the only way to restore the computer to factory settings is by reformatting and reinstalling Windows. For more information, refer to this Microsoft article: Installing and reinstalling Windows.
If you are unable to boot up the PC in Normal Mode, refer to this Knowledge Base article to boot it in Safe Mode:
How to Restart Windows in Safe Mode.