Differences between Renewing, Updating and Upgrading your Trend Micro Security software
- Solution ID:1104374
- Last Updated:Aug. 21, 2019 5:04 PM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus for Mac - 2018;Antivirus+ Security - 2018;2015, 2016;2019;2020;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2016;Internet Security - 2019;Internet Security - 2020;Maximum Security - 2018;Maximum Security - 2016;Maximum Security - 2019;Maximum Security - 2020;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2016;Premium Security - 2019, Premium Security - 2020;
- Renewing, Updating, Upgrading | Trend Micro Security
This article explains the differences between Renewing, Updating and Upgrading your Trend Micro Security program.
- Renewing your subscription means purchasing another year (or 2 years) of Trend Micro Security coverage. To purchase a renewal, open the main console of your Trend Micro Security software, click the Expiry Date then click the Renew button.
- Renewing is done per license/serial number which extends the expiry date or the period in which the program will be active.
- Renewing retains the same serial number. However, if you purchased from a retail store or were provided with a new serial number from your online purchase, you need to replace the serial number on your program with the new one.
- A new serial number means a new subscription.
- All your devices using the renewed license/serial number will be renewed as well; these devices will show the same expiry date.
- Aside from extending your Trend Micro Security program's expiry date, no other changes will be made to your program when you renew your subscription.
For complete instructions on how to renew your Trend Micro subscription, refer to this Knowledge Base article: Renewing your Trend Micro program subscription.
- Updating your Trend Micro Security program means getting the latest security updates from our servers and installing it to your Trend Micro Security software.
- These security updates include the latest virus signatures/definitions, program updates and patches, bug fixes and other security enhancements to ensure that your Trend Micro Security software is well-armed and optimized in protecting your devices.
- Updating is automatically done by your Trend Micro Security software every 3 hours provided that you are connected to the internet and your subscription is still active.
- You can also do a manual update from the main console of the software. For complete instructions on how to update, refer to this Knowledge Base article: Updating your Trend Micro Security software.
- Upgrading your Trend Micro security is replacing the current software in your computer with the latest version.
- Upgrading is initiated manually and involves removing the current software, restarting the computer then downloading and installing the latest version.
This process is done by the installer, but you will need to download and run the installer first.
- Every year, we release a new program version and we notify customers by sending an email and/or displaying a pop-up message from your Trend Micro Security software.
- You can get the installer by clicking the link provided in the email or by clicking the pop-up notification.
- The installer is also available in our Download Center.
- If you purchased a renewal or new subscription, you will be provided with the installer in the Order Confirmation Email.
- Upgrading is FREE as long as your subscription is active and we recommended that you upgrade to ensure optimum protection.
For complete instructions on how to upgrade your Trend Micro Security program, refer to this Knowledge Base article: Upgrading your Trend Micro Security to the latest version.