Using the Trend Micro Rootkit Buster for Home Users
- Solution ID:1105740
- Last Updated:Aug. 22, 2019 6:25 AM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2018;2019;2020;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2019;Internet Security - All;Maximum Security - 2018;Maximum Security - 2019;Maximum Security - 2020;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2019;Premium Security - 2020;
- Using Rootkit Buster | Trend Micro Security
Rootkit, a malicious software, manipulates the components of Microsoft Windows operating system to conceal how it harms computer. It hides drivers, processes, and registry entries from tools that use common system application programming interfaces (APIs).
Download and run the Trend Micro Rootkit Buster to scan hidden files, registry entries, processes, drivers, services, ports, and master boot record (MBR) to identify and remove rootkits.
This tool is only designed to scan your computer for rootkits. For other types of threats, use your Trend Micro Security instead.
For instructions, refer to this Knowledge Base article: Installing Trend Micro Security.
To download and run the Trend Micro Rootkit Buster, do the following:
- Download Rootkit Buster that corresponds to your system type and save the file on your desktop
To check your Windows system type, refer to this Knowledge Base article:
Check if you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows operating system.
- Right-click RootkitBusterV5.0-1198.exe, then select Run as administrator. The following error message may appear when you do not run the installer with administrator privileges:
- Read the license agreement.
- Select I accept the terms of the license agreement, then click Next.
This window may appear behind your browser. You need to minimize windows that you have opened.
- Click Scan Now.
Wait for the program to finish scanning your computer until you see the result of the scan.
- Tick the detected threats, then click Fix Now.
Wait for the Trend Micro Rootkit Buster to fix the threats.
- Click Restart Now to finish the cleanup.