"Restart Required" error message keeps showing when installing Trend Micro Security software
- Solution ID:1104092
- Last Updated:Jan. 04, 2019 5:03 AM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2017;Antivirus+ Security - 2018;Antivirus+ Security - 2019;Internet Security - 2016;Internet Security - 2017;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2019;Maximum Security - 2016;2017;2018;2019;Premium Security - 2016;Premium Security - 2017;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2019;
- "Restart Required" | Error Message | Trend Micro Security
You receive the following error message when upgrading your Trend Micro Security program to the latest version:
You must restart the computer to make some system changes take effect before installing the software."
This issue happens when you have an older version of Trend Micro program on your computer.
BEFORE YOU PROCEED:
You may get the message twice during the installation because you need to restart your computer to delete the remnants of your old Trend Micro program. You can proceed with the installation after restarting your computer.
If you get the message more than twice, follow the instructions below:
- Bookmark this page
We recommend that you bookmark this page before proceeding because you will be asked to restart your computer during the procedure.
To bookmark this page, click the Star button on the right side of the address bar.
- Install and run the Remnant File Remover Tool
Run the Remnant File Remover Tool to remove any leftover Trend Micro files from affected computers so that you can successfully install the latest version of your Trend Micro Security Software.
For instructions, refer to this Knowledge Base article:
Using the Trend Micro Remnant File Remover Tool
- Install your Trend Micro Security
To Install your Trend Micro Security software, refer to this Knowledge Base article:
Installing the latest version of Trend Micro Security program.
Need Additional Help?
Monday to Friday (5AM - 8PM PST)
Monday to Friday (7AM - 7PM Sydney Time)
Monday to Friday 8:00 – 17:30 GMT
Monday to Friday (8AM - 5PM Local Time)
Monday to Friday (8AM – 5PM Manila Time)
Monday to Friday (9AM – 9PM India Time)