"Unable to contact Trend Micro" error message appears on the main console of Trend Micro Security software
- Solution ID:1104176
- Last Updated:Nov. 27, 2019 5:08 AM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2018, Antivirus+ Security - 2019;Antivirus+ Security - 2020;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2019;Internet Security - 2020;Maximum Security - 2018;2019;2020;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2019;Premium Security - 2020;
- Fix "Unable to contact Trend Micro" error message
You receive the following error message when opening your Trend Micro Security software.
"Unable to contact Trend Micro"
The issue happens when your Trend Micro Security software cannot connect to our Trend Micro server to get the latest program updates.
To resolve the problem, follow any of the options below:
- Open Internet Properties
Click this button below to download InternetProperties.zip
- Open InternetProperties.zip, and then click InternetProperties.bat. This will open Internet Properties.
- Click the Connectionstab.
- Click LAN Settings.
- Under Proxy server, check if Use a proxy server for your LAN is ticked.
If there is value in the Address field, make sure to write it down.
- Untick Use a proxy server for your LAN, then click OK.
- Click Apply, then click OK.
- Check if the issue persists.
BEFORE YOU PROCEED:This solution is not applicable if you are using a Static IP address setup.
If your computer uses this setup, contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider. You can also proceed to the next option.
To change the DNS server address, do the following:
- Open Network Connection Window
Click this button below to download NetworkConnections.zip
- Open NetworkConnections.zip, and then click NetworkConnections.bat. This will open Network Connections.
- Right-click Local Area Connection (or any active connection), then click Properties.
- Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click Properties.
- Check the value of the Preferred DNS server field and Alternate DNS server field.
If the value is 85.255.xxx.xxx (where xxx represent numbers), select Obtain DNS server address automatically.
- Before selecting Obtain DNS server address automatically, please take note of the value of the DNS server. If in any case you still cannot connect to the Internet after selecting the option, you can still put back the previous value of the server.
- Other DNS modifications are set by your Internet Service Provider. Contact your network administrator for additional assistance.
- Click OK twice to close the Properties windows.
- Close the Network Connections window, then try to open or update your Trend Micro software again.
If the issue persists, proceed to OPTION 3: Reset the Winsock.
- Resetting Winsock
Click this button below to download WinsockReset.zip
- Open WinsockReset.zip, and then click WinsockReset.bat. This will reset the winsocket settings
- Restart the computer in order to complete the reset then test to access your network or Internet again.
- Check for program updates.
Note: If the error message still appears after performing all the options above, contact our Technical Support for further assistance.
To detect and remove any malware (malicious software like viruses and spyware) from your computer, run our online scanner HouseCall.
To run an online scan using HouseCall, follow the steps below:
Download HouseCall and save it to your desktop.
- Click Run.
The HouseCall window will appear, wait for HouseCall to download the necessary components to run on your computer.
- Read the license agreement.
- Select I accept the terms of the license agreement, then click Next.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Scan Type tab.
- Tick the type of scan you want to run, then click OK.
- Click Scan Now.
Wait for the scan to finish. A summary of threats found on your computer and the actions taken against detected malware is displayed.
- Click the X button on the upper right corner of the window to close.