Important Information for Trend Micro Solutions and Microsoft January 2018 Security Updates (Meltdown and Spectre)
- Solution ID:1118996
- Last Updated:Aug. 30, 2019 5:33 AM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2018;2019;2020;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2019;Internet Security - 2020;Maximum Security - 2018;Maximum Security - 2019;Maximum Security - 2020;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2019;Premium Security - 2020;
- Important Information for Trend Micro Solutions and Microsoft January 2018 Security Updates
On January 3, 2018, Microsoft began to release its monthly Security Bulletin early due to the newly revealed CPU security flaws. Microsoft's January 2018 monthly update implements new requirements to ensure that security and anti-virus software is compatible.
Information has recently been released about a set of vulnerabilities commonly referred to as Meltdown and Spectre that could be exploited at a hardware (CPU) layer on multiple operating systems including Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Apple macOS.
Customers running any version of Trend Micro Security will require a new Microsoft Windows registry key to allow the Windows Update to automatically occur. Microsoft is not providing a tool to add this registry key, therefore Trend Micro is offering several options, to ensure customers are able to receive the January Microsoft patches as quickly possible in conjunction with Trend Micro security software deployment.
Here are the available options:
- Make sure you are using the latest version of Trend Micro Security to stay safe from Meltdown and Spectre
You can check here if you already have the latest version or follow instructions here to
upgrade Trend Micro Security to the latest version.
- Make sure your Trend Micro Security has the latest Security and Program updates.
You can check here to manually update your Trend Micro Security.
- Back up your Windows System Registry.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + R keys.
- In the Open field, type "regedit", then press ENTER. The Registry Editor window should open.
- Add the following Registry Key:
- Value Name =cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc
Contact Trend Micro Technical Support for assistance or you may also check these additional references: