"Block this program?" pop-up message appears when a program is trying to access your files protected by Folder Shield
- Solution ID:1114888
- Last Updated:Aug. 23, 2019 3:36 PM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2018;2019;2020;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2019;Internet Security - 2020;Maximum Security - 2018;Maximum Security - 2019;Maximum Security - 2020;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2019;Premium Security - 2020;
- "Block this program?" popup message | Trend Micro
You receive the following error message when a program tries to access your files protected by Folder Shield:
"<Program Name> is trying to open files protected by Folder Shield.
If you do not recognize this program, Trend Micro suggests blocking it from accessing your files."
To know more about the "Block this program?" pop-up message, click on the options below:
When you’re just searching, browsing, or watching a video, then the pop-up appears, it is possible that a malware is trying to install, modify or encrypt your files. In this case, Block is the recommended action.
Even programs with familiar name like winword.exe (for Microsoft Word) should be blocked. Malware or encrypting ransomware can disguise itself under familiar program names. The unexpected nature of the event that triggered the pop-up is the indication that it is dangerous.
If the program is not familiar, click Block to stop the action. Otherwise, click Trust this program.
Before clicking Trust this program, read the When should I trust the program to open the files protected in Folder Shield? below.
Trusted programs will automatically be added to the Trusted Program List. Click Trust this program under one or a combination of the following conditions:
- If you remember downloading, installing, and using the program before.
- If the program was downloaded from a reputable site, such as CNET’s Download.com, which tests all software submitted to the site for malware using comprehensive criteria.
- If you’ve done your research and found that software has a known good reputation, as given on the official download page, along with FAQs and Support page, and does not appear in any websites that lists malicious software.
- If it is a personally developed software or internally for organizational purposes.
You may also submit reclassification request to Trend Micro Support, so the program will not be blocked by default by Folder Shield. You may refer to this knowledge base article: Submitting a URL or file reclassification request.