Removing unwanted pop-up messages on your Mac
You encounter random pop-up messages or advertisements due to malware infection or unwanted programs.
To remove unwanted pop-ups or advertisements, do any of the following:
Use this option if you are unable to close the pop-up window or if there is no option to close it.
To force quit the browser, do the following:
- Click the Apple menu and select Force Quit or press the COMMAND-OPTION-ESC keys on your keyboard.
- Select the unresponsive app in the Force Quit window, and then click Force Quit.
- Try to reopen the browser by pressing the Shift key while Safari opens. This prevents Safari from automatically reopening any window.
To uninstall toolbars, do the following:
- Open the Applications folder, then look for the name of the application that appears on the browser pop-up.
- Drag the application on the Trash Bin to uninstall it. Do not forget to empty the Trash Bin to permanently delete the file.
Select your web browser from the options below:
To check browser settings and extensions on your Safari browser, do the following:
- Choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
- Click the Security icon, and then select Block pop-up windows to prevent pop-ups.
- Click the General icon, and then set your preferred homepage and search engine.
- Click the Extensions icon, and then uninstall the extensions you want to remove.
To check browser settings and extensions on your Google Chrome browser, do the following:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click the Chrome menu button (Customize and control Google Chrome button) on the upper right-hand corner of your browser.
- Click Settings. This will open Chrome's Settings page on a new tab.
- Click Extensions.
- Click the trash can icon next to the toolbar you want to remove.
- Restart Google Chrome.
To check browser settings and extensions on your Mozilla Firefox browser, do the following:
On the Menu bar, click Tools and then select Add-Ons. The Manage Add-ons window will appear.
You can also open the Manage Add-ons window by pressing the CTRL+SHIFT+A keys on your keyboard.
- Select the Extensions tab.
- Highlight the toolbar you want to remove, and then click Remove.
- Restart Mozilla Firefox.