"Connect to the Internet" error message appears on the Trend Micro Security software
- Solution ID:1104556
- Last Updated:Dec. 15, 2019 11:47 PM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2018;2019;2020;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2019;Internet Security - 2020;Maximum Security - 2018;Maximum Security - 2019;Maximum Security - 2020;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2019;Premium Security - 2020;
- Fix "Connect to the Internet" error message
You receive the following notification message from your Trend Micro Security software:
"Connect to the Internet
Your protection depends on getting the latest threat information from Trend Micro.
After connecting this computer to the Internet, click Update Now."
"Connect to Internet"
"Please check that you are connected to the Internet, then click Update Now to get the latest protection."
To resolve the issue, click on any of the following options:
BEFORE YOU PROCEED:
We recommend that you print out this document or bookmark this page before proceeding because you will be asked to restart your computer during the procedure.
Trend Micro wants to ensure you have access to the latest protection all the time. This notification will appear if the program detects that it has not connected to the Trend Micro server for 3 days. Whenever you get this notification, simply connect to the Internet, then update your program by clicking the Update Now button. The protection status will change to Protected.
Once it connects to the server, it will automatically acquire the latest protection. You can disconnect from the Internet after the program is finished.
It is possible that your Trend Micro program is unable to update due to Internet connection being restricted by this feature of Windows 8.1/10. If you have an unlimited Internet connection, we recommend that you turn this feature off. If you are on metered connection (meaning, you pay for each kilobyte of data), you may temporarily turn this feature off then perform a manual update on your Trend Micro program.
To turn off Download over metered connection settings, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Windows Key on the lower left corner of your screen.
- Click Settings, then click Devices.
- Go to Connected devices and turn off the Download over metered connections.
- On your keyboard, press Windows key + C to go to the Charms Bar.
- Choose Settings, then select Change PC Settings.
Go to Devices and turn off the Download over metered connections.
For more details about the metered connections and how it affects your computer, check this Microsoft article: Metered Internet connections (FAQ).
To disable the "Use a Proxy Server to Connect to the Internet" setting, do the following:
- Open your Trend Micro Security software main console by doing any of the following:
- Double-click the Trend Micro desktop shortcut.
- Double-click the Trend Micro icon on the system tray, found on the bottom-right corner.
- Click Settings.
- Click Other Settings.
- Click Network Settings.
- Uncheck "Use a Proxy Server to Connect to the Internet".
To flush the DNS, do the following:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + R Keys. The Run window should open.
- In the Open field, type "cmd", then press ENTER. The Command Prompt window should open.
- Type "ipconfig /flushdns", then press ENTER.
- Close the Command Prompt window when you receive the following message:
"Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache."
To reset the Winsock Catalog, do the following:
- On your screen, click the Windows , then type "cmd".
- Right click on Command Prompt, then click Run as administrator.
- Type “netsh winsock reset”, then press ENTER.
- Restart your computer when you receive the following message:
"Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart your computer in order to complete the reset."
Restart your computer, then do the following:
- Right-click on the Trend Micro system tray icon at the bottom right-hand corner of your desktop.
- Click Check for Program Updates.
The About Your Software windows will appear and will automatically check for available updates.
- Click Close once the download is complete or if there are no new available updates.
Your computer may be infected by viruses that block your connection to the server. If you continue to get the notification, check this Knowledge Base article on how to scan your computer using Housecall:
Scanning your computer using Housecall.
For complete instructions on how to reinstall your Trend Micro Security program, refer to this Knowledge Base article:
Reinstalling the latest version of Trend Micro Security program using the Reinstall Tool.