Collecting and uploading malware samples using the Upload Tool
- Solution ID:1056444
- Last Updated:Aug. 23, 2019 6:34 AM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2018;2019;2020;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2019;Internet Security - 2020;Maximum Security - 2018;Maximum Security - 2019;Maximum Security - 2020;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2019;Premium Security - 2020;
- Collecting malware samples | Upload Tool | Trend Micro Security
This article shows you how to use the Upload Tool to automate the process of uploading malware sample files.
This tool gathers malware samples and important information on the infected computer. Collected information will help us understand more the malware cases we receive and lead to more effective solution and tools.
To run and use the Trend Micro Upload Tool, do the following:
- On your C:\ Drive, create a "sample" folder by doing the following:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + R keys.
- In the Open field, type "c:", then press ENTER. The Local Disk (C:) Windows Explorer window should open.
- On your keyboard, press CTRL + SHIFT + N keys simultaneously. This will create a new folder.
- Rename the new folder as "sample".
- On your C:\sample folder, copy the sample files you want to collect and paste it.
Download the Upload Tool by clicking the download button below:
- Right-click on MalwareUploadTool.zip, then select Extract here.
After extraction is complete, a new file named uploadtool.bat should appear.
Click uploadtool.bat. Two windows should pop up.
- Type all necessary information, then click Submit.
If you see the sample window below, it means that you have successfully uploaded the file.
Otherwise, you will see this sample window below:
- A log file named "UploadTool_logs" will be generated for both successful and unsuccessful upload for your reference.
- Delete the sample folder and the Upload Tool once the files have been uploaded successfully.