Unable to open the main console of Trend Micro Security
- Solution ID:1104607
- Last Updated:Jun. 20, 2019 1:59 AM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2017;2018;2019;Internet Security - 2017;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2019;Maximum Security - 2017;Maximum Security - 2018;Maximum Security - 2019;Premium Security - 2017;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2019;
- Cannot open the main console | Trend Micro Security
You cannot open the main console of your Trend Micro Security software even if the system tray icon is visible.
This can happen due to the following scenarios:
- Conflicting third-party security software
- Virus infection
- Trend Micro Security software is running in compatibility mode
- Missing path variable in Windows
To resolve the issue, do either of the following options:
To properly receive the latest updates on your Trend Micro Security program, do the following:
- Open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit. Do the following:
- For Windows 10:
- Click Start > All Apps > Trend Micro Security > Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
- For Windows 8.1:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows Windows Key + C to open Charms bar.
- Click Search.
- On the Search box, type "Trend".
- Click Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
- For Windows 7:
- Go to Start > All Programs > Trend Micro Security > More Tools and Help > Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit
- For Windows 10:
- Click Yes when the User Account Control window appears.
- On the Diagnostic Toolkit window, click the Uninstall tab, then click 5. Stop all components.
- A notification will appear on your System Tray to confirm that Trend Micro Security software is now completely disabled.
Or, wait for Trend Micro's System Tray icon (near the clock at the bottom right part of the screen) to disappear.
Once the icon disappears, Trend Micro is now disabled.
- Click the Delete now button for both:
- Delete the security update files from this computer.
- Delete the Trend Micro proxy files from this computer.
- Click 4. Start all components.
- Open the main console of your Trend Micro Security software. Do either of the following:
- Double-click the Trend Micro icon on your desktop.
- Double-click the Trend Micro icon on your system tray.
- Click , then select About the Software.
The About Your Software window will appear and will automatically check for available updates.
- Click Close once the download is complete.
Latest Version Update: 15.0.1231
To remove conflicting software or virus infection, do either of the following steps:
- Uninstall Conflicting Software
Having third-party security software or older Trend Micro programs installed on your computer may lead to installation and performance issues. To remove these programs and their components follow the steps below:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + R keys.
- In the Open field, type "appwiz.cpl", then press ENTER. The Programs and Features window will open.
- Select the program you need to remove, then click Remove or Uninstall.
- Wait for the program to be uninstalled, then restart your computer when asked.
For the complete list of third-party security software and instructions on how to remove them, check this Knowledge Base article: Programs to remove before installing Trend Micro Security.
If you encounter issues in uninstalling the third-party security software, contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
- Run HouseCall to check for virus infection
Run Housecall to scan your computer from malware. For complete instructions, refer to this Knowledge Base article: Scanning your computer using Trend Micro HouseCall (For Home Users).
Visit the HouseCall page for more information on this free product.
To upgrade your Trend Micro Security to the latest version, refer to this Knowledge Base article: Upgrading Trend Micro Security to the latest version.