Restoring Windows PC to its factory settings after virus infection
This article shows you you how to reset your Windows computer after being infected with a virus.
We recommend that you print out this document or bookmark this page before proceeding because you will be asked to restart your computer during the procedure.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key. Type the word "reinstall" in the search tool inside the Start menu, then click Remove everything and reinstall Windows.
- Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, click Get started to start restoring Windows 10 to its factory settings.
- Click Next.
Factory resetting Windows 10 will reinstall Windows 10, change the PC settings to their defaults, and remove all your files.
- If you want to reset Windows 10 quickly, you can choose Just remove my files. Your files and data will be removed quickly and some data might remain recoverable using special softwares even after Windows 10 has been restored to factory settings.
Before clicking the Reset button on the next step, you might not be able to cancel the factory reset process. Make sure your Windows 10 laptop or desktop PC is plugged in and is not running on battery.
- Click the Reset button to start restoring Windows 10 to factory settings and follow the instructions.
In the resetting process, you might be asked to accept the Windows license and enter details such as PC name.
After Windows 10 factory reset process has been completed, you can now use it as a new computer.
- Open the Charms Bar. Do any of the following:
- On your keyboard, press the WINDOWS + C keys.
- Move the mouse cursor to the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click the Settings icon.
- Click Change PC Settings.
- Click General.
- Browse the list on the right pane, then click the Get Started button under Remove everything and reinstall Windows.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Last Updated: Mar. 29, 2017 5:46 AM (PST)
Solution ID: 1105002