Downloading and using Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker Tool
- Solution ID: 1105975
- Last Updated: Oct. 09, 2017 12:40 AM (PST)
- Applies to: Antivirus+ Security - 2015;2016;2017;2018;Internet Security - 2015;Internet Security - 2016;Internet Security - 2017;Internet Security - 2018;Maximum Security - 2015;Maximum Security - 2016;Maximum Security - 2017;Maximum Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2015;Premium Security - 2016;Premium Security - 2017;Premium Security - 2018;
- Using Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker Tool | Trend Micro Security
Ransomware is a type of malware that prevents or limits users from accessing their system. This type of malware forces its victims to pay the ransom through certain methods in order to grant access to their systems, or to get their data back. There are two (2) types of Ransomware: Lock Screen which limits the users from accessing the computer and Crypto (File Encryption) which encrypts files to limit users from access their files. Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker Tool is designed to eliminate Lock Screen ransomware from your infected PC in two different scenarios:
- Scenario 1: Lock Screen ransomware is blocking “normal mode”, but “safe mode” with networking is still accessible.
- Scenario 2: Lock Screen ransomware is blocking both “normal mode” and “safe mode” with networking.
To resolve the issue, do the following:
- Go to Safe mode with Networking.
Download the Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker Tool by clicking the download button below:
- Double-click Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker.exe to run it.
This tool can be installed on Safe Mode with Networking.
It can also be installed through USB on Regular Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Click Install to start extracting the Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker Tool.
For Windows XP users, make sure to uncheck Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity before running the tool.
- Once Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker Tool has been installed, restart your computer and go to normal mode where the screen is locked by the ransomware.
- Trigger the Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker Tool by pressing the following keys: Left CTRL + ALT + T + I.
The key press should be done on the client’s keyboard and not from support side (Remote Control/LMI).
In some cases, the key press may need to be done more than once.
- The screen lock should terminate and the Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker Tool screen should appear.
- Click Scan to scan the computer for any ransomware files.
- Review and select the threats that you have verified to be malicious then press Clean.
- Click Reboot to restart the computer.
To resolve the issue, do the following:
On a working or non-infected computer, download Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker Tool for USB and save it to your desktop.
- Insert a USB drive.
- Double-click Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker for USB.exe.
- Click Yes when the User Account Control window appears.
- Select the USB drive then click Create.
Note: This will erase all the contents of the USB drive.
- Insert the USB drive on the infected computer.
- Boot the infected computer from the USB drive.
If the USB drive is detected, you will see this text on your screen while the computer is restarting:
If the USB drive is not detected, do any the following:
- Insert the USB to another USB port and restart the computer.
- Make sure that the USB is properly inserted.
- Try using another USB.
- Login to the infected computer and wait for the Trend Micro™ Ransomware Screen Unlocker Tool to suspend the lock screen and open the console.
The tool will automatically initiate by itself.
There is no key trigger implemented to call out the tool.
- Continue using the tool for troubleshooting.
- Click Scan.
- The scan results will be displayed. Click Fix Now.
Learn how Trend Micro protects you against the latest WCRY (WannaCry) Ransomware Attack. Click here.