Using the Trend Micro Toolbar feature of Trend Micro Security
- Solution ID:1105000
- Last Updated:Sep. 26, 2017 5:45 AM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2016;2015;2017;2018;Internet Security - 2016;Internet Security - 2015;Internet Security - 2017;Internet Security - 2018;Maximum Security - 2016;Maximum Security - 2015;Maximum Security - 2017;Maximum Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2016;Premium Security - 2015;Premium Security - 2017;Premium Security - 2018;
- Using the Trend Micro Toolbar | Trend Micro Security
This articles informs you about the Trend Micro Toolbar and how it provides you additional protection.
Note: Opera and Microsoft Edge web browsers are currently not supported by the Trend Micro toolbar.
For instructions on how to enable the toolbar, do the following depending on your web browser:
To enable the Trend Micro Toolbar, follow the steps below:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- On the upper right hand corner, click the gear icon
- Click Manage add-ons.
- Click Trend Micro Security Toolbar, then click Enable.
- Select all Trend Micro toolbars, then click Enable.
Make sure to tick the following checkboxes before clicking Enable:
- Trend Micro Security Toolbar Helper
- Trend Micro Network Filter Plugin
- Trend Micro IE Protection
- Click Close.
The Trend Micro Toolbar will now be enabled and visible.
To enable the Trend Micro Toolbar, do the following:
BEFORE YOU PROCEED:
- The Trend Micro Toolbar is not searchable in Google Chrome Web Store because it is intended only for customers with Trend Micro Security installed.
- The only way to download the toolbar is by opening this page in Google Chrome and clicking this Chrome Webstore link.
- Enabling the Trend Micro Toolbar is free.
- If you are not using Google Chrome, click the Don't show this again link in the error message.
- Click the Chrome Web Store icon below to find the Trend Micro Toolbar in the webstore.
- The webstore will open in a new tab. Click the Add to Chrome button to download the Trend Micro Toolbar.
Note: If the button says "Added to Chrome" instead of "Add to Chrome" it means that the Trend Micro Toolbar is already installed. You may proceed to this article if the Trend Micro Toolbar is still not yet enabled: Trend Micro Toolbar is missing in Google Chrome after installing Trend Micro Security program.
- Click Add when the Confirm New Extension window appears. A notification saying "Trend Micro Toolbar has been added to Chrome" will appear.
Once you see this notification, it means you have successfully installed the Trend Micro Toolbar.
If you keep getting the message even after enabling the extension, click Don't show this again.
To enable the Trend Micro Toolbar, follow the steps below:
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the Settings button near the top-right corner.
- Click Add-ons.
- Click the Extensions tab.
- Click the Enable button for the following:
- Trend Micro BEP Firefox Extension. This extension protects you by analyzing content on websites that you visit. It detects and blocks malicious code from running.
- Trend Micro Osprey Extension. This extension check the safety of websites, hyperlinks, and wireless network connections.
- Trend Micro Toolbar. This extension see links to risky websites at a glance and prevents accidental access of malicious websites.
- Click the Restart Now link to restart Mozilla Firefox.
The Trend Micro Toolbar will be shown on the upper-left side, once Mozilla Firefox has restarted.
- Close the Add-ons Manager tab.
Microsoft has not yet provided a way to build extensions/add-ons for us to deliver the same functionality and protection we do in IE11. Once that becomes available, we will definitely create our TrendProtect Toolbar.
Trend Micro still provides the following security to your browsing sessions with Edge:
In addition, PC Health Checkup also supports Edge which allows you to clean privacy data and use its proxy settings to connect to the internet. Security Report will also contain the optimization done by Trend Micro Security on Edge browser.
The Trend Micro Toolbar works with your web browser to warn you about any security risks associated with the websites you try to visit. The Trend Micro Toolbar should appear automatically in your web browser if you select Display the Trend Micro Toolbar on supported web browsers.
When you search for information on the web, the Trend Micro Toolbar will automatically rate the links in the results of popular search services. The Trend Micro Toolbar works automatically behind the scenes by monitoring websites, and a page rating icon appears next to search results and links shown in these sites:
Note: Using a search engine assistant, such as Surf Canyon, may prevent this feature from working properly.
You can check links on any webpage you visit by moving your mouse cursor over the link for a moment, and the rating will appear. Feel free to open Safe pages. You should avoid opening sites marked as Suspicious or Dangerous. Unsafe pages that you have added to the exception list will have the Trusted rating.
The table below lists the rating provided by the Trend Micro Toolbar:
|Safe||Trend Micro considers this page safe. It does not pose a risk to your security.|
|Suspicious||Trend Micro has found that this page could pose a security risk. Avoid the site if possible, or exercise caution if you do open it.|
|Dangerous||Trend Micro has identified this page as dangerous. It may contain hidden malicious software, or shows signs of involvement in "phishing," a kind of fraud in which fake websites mimic legitimate ones to steal information.|
|Blocked||You have decided to block this page.|
|Trusted||You have decided to trust this page, but Trend Micro has not confirmed this rating.|
|Untested||Trend Micro has not yet tested this page. It may use an unsupported protocol (something other than HTTP or HTTPS).|
|No Response||Unable to contact the page rating system. Check your Internet connection and proxy server settings.|
The table below lists the available options for the Trend Micro Toolbar:
|Rate links on web pages||Shows ratings for links on search results, social networking sites, and web-based email websites.|
|Rate links on mouseover||Rates links on regular webpages whenever you pause your mouse cursor over the link for a moment.|
|Check your online privacy||Opens the Social Networking Privacy Scanner.|
|Settings||Shows the Web Threats settings.|