Using the Smart Protection Network
- Solution ID:1104787
- Last Updated:Aug. 26, 2019 9:16 PM (PST)
- Applies to:Antivirus+ Security - 2018;2019;2020;Internet Security - 2018;Internet Security - 2019;Internet Security - 2020;Maximum Security - 2018;Maximum Security - 2019;Maximum Security - 2020;Premium Security - 2018;Premium Security - 2019;Premium Security - 2020;
- Smart Protection Network | Trend Micro Security software
This article gives you the basic information about how Smart Protection Network works and its effect to the performance of Trend Micro products.
The Trend Micro Smart Protection Network is a global threat intelligence that rapidly and accurately collects and identifies new threats, delivering instant protection for data wherever it resides.
The Trend Micro Smart Protection Network automatically correlates information about security risks found on millions of computers worldwide to help develop protection against new threats faster. The more people participate, the more effective this network becomes.
No personal information is gathered or shared.
Smart Protection Network allows us to look into more places than any other vendor for threat data, and respond to new threats more effectively.
The Smart Protection Network works in three distinct areas:
Smart Protection Network cloud's data mining framework collects more than 15 terabytes of threat data each day from across the globe for greater visibility into the nature of attacks. Threat data is continuously gathered through a worldwide network of honeypots, submissions, feedback loops, web crawling technologies, customers and partners, and our own Forward-looking Threat researchers and TrendLabs researchers.
We pioneered the use of big data analytics for data mining threat intelligence when we started building the Smart Protection Network some seven years ago. We host thousands of event feeds and stream billions of events in our data centers, and have become experts in the tools and techniques required to make sense of the variety of threats and attacks being perpetrated.
It’s critical to match the velocity of attacks with an equally fast response. Our proven cloud infrastructure allows us to rapidly deliver threat intelligence across physical, virtual, cloud, and mobile environments to protect data wherever it resides. We consistently demonstrate faster time to protect in independent tests.
By processing threat information in the cloud rather than on individual machines, we reduce the demand on system resources and eliminate time-consuming signature downloads. Higher performance and lower maintenance reduces operating costs as well.
These are the benefits of Smart Protection Network:
- Collects more threat data from a broader, more robust global sensornet to ensure customers are protected from the volume and variety of threats today, including mobile and targeted attacks.
- Identifies new threats faster using experienced, finely tuned custom data mining tools to root out new threats within the massive amount of data coming in every second of the day.
- Protects through a proven cloud-based infrastructure that provides the fastest possible protection against new threats to minimize the risks associated an attack.
To configure the Smart Protection Network, follow the steps below:
- Open your Trend Micro Security software main console by doing any of the following:
- Double-click the Trend Micro icon on your desktop.
- Right-click Trend Micro icon in your system tray then click Open the main console.
Click Settings or the gear icon. This will open the Protection Settings window.
Click Other Settings button.
On the left pane of the window, click Smart Protection Network.
Check this Trend Micro article to know more about Smart Protection Network: Smart Protection Network – Data Mining Framework.