Trend Micro Security does not start or turn on
This article shows you what to do when your Trend Micro Security does not start or if it keeps shutting down.
The following also occurs:
- There is no Trend Micro icon on your system tray.
- The Windows Security Center is not detecting Trend Micro Security.
- The system tray icon status is "Starting your protection".
- The program automatically or manually restarts with every update when you click About or About your software.
- The console randomly shuts down every 5 to 10 minutes.
OPTION 1: Remove conflicting programs
Note:If there are issues encountered while uninstalling any of the programs, visit their corresponding support website.
Note:The Windows Defender will be disabled automatically when you install your Trend Micro Security software. There is no need to uninstall the program from your computer.
OPTION 2: Manually start all Trend Micro Security components
- Close all open programs or applications.
- Open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit by doing either of the following:
- Go to Start > All Programs > Trend Micro (program version) Security > Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
- Go to Start > My Computer > Local Disk C: or OS C: > Program Files > Trend Micro > Titanium > SupportTool.exe.
- Click the Uninstall tab.
- Click Stop all components.
- Wait until all the buttons are enabled, then click Start all components.
- Close the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit, check if the issue persists.
OPTION 3: Reinstall/ Upgrade to the latest version of Trend Micro Security
FOR WINDOWS XP USERS:On April 8th, 2014, Microsoft formally announced the Windows XP end of support. Because Microsoft no longer fixes issues on Windows XP, it has become increasingly difficult for Trend Micro to keep users safe on this operating system. We encourage all of our users to upgrade their PCs to a more modern operating system which will provide greater stability and security. You can refer to this article for more information.
- Go to Start > All Programs > Trend Micro (program version) Security > More Tools & Help >Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
- Click (C) Uninstall tab.
- Click 1. Uninstall Software, then wait while the program is being uninstalled.
- Click Yes when prompted to restart your computer.
- Download the installer file to begin the installation.
Serial Number Starts with an 'X'Maximum SecuritySerial Number Starts with a 'P'Internet SecuritySerial Number Starts with an 'A'Antivirus+ Security
- Double-click the installer to run it.
Click Yes when the User Account Control window appears.
- Wait for the installer to extract the files needed for the installation.
- Wait as Trend Micro checks if your computer is compatible for installation.
- Type your serial number, then click Next.
Notes:If you forgot your Trend Micro Serial Number, check this Knowledge Base article:
Finding the serial number of Trend Micro Security.If you get the error message "Invalid Serial Number", check this Knowledge Base article:
“Invalid Serial Number” error message appears when activating Trend Micro Security program.
- Read the License Agreement, then click Agree and Install.
- Wait for the program to install. This may take a couple of minutes.
- Click Finish.
You will see the main console of your Trend Micro Security program.
Last Updated: Jan. 29, 2017 11:49 PM (PST)
Solution ID: 1059949